Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Carving oranges for Halloween!!

There are a lot of things you have to give up when you live outside of the US!  For me, carving pumpkins at Halloween is one of those things!  There just simply ARE NOT pumpkin patches, or pumpkin carts at every intersection!  In fact, I've only ever seen big American style orange pumpkins in Korea ONCE, and that was 3 years ago!  Sooo... This year, I decided I was going to put my resourceful cap on and carve something - the closest thing I could think of was an orange!  Turns out, it was actually really simple to do, much cheaper, and just as much fun! 

Step 1:
Find an orange that can sit up on it's own and cut the top off, just like you would a pumpkin.

Step 2:
Take a spoon and dig between the orange's peel and the orange inside.  This is actually easier than you'd think.  It separates pretty easily and then you can scoop the orange out!  When you're finished, run your orange peel under the kitchen faucet to get all the sticky juice out! 

Step 3:
Carve your orange peel with a regular kitchen knife.  The sharper the better.  Then, throw a candle in, light it up, and enjoy your mini jack-orange-o'lantern!

blog-signature

5 comments:

  1. hahah That's so amazing! I gotta try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stella, I taught my kids how to make them during our English TV Show Broadcast today and they went crazy! They all wanna go home and make one! I also told them that if they made a mask today and came to my desk and said "trick or treat" I'd give them candy! I think I'm in over my head over here - every break time, I get swarmed with kids wearing masks! Such a fun and festive Halloween over here!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SO cute! Wish you would have posted this before our Halloween Movie Night! I'm saving this idea for next year! BUT it seems like it would be hard to carve the faces!

    I LOVE LOVE LOVE your new signature at the end of your posts! I am OBSESSED!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg! The face was really easy to carve! *** I can make you a signature for your blog too! Just tell me what font or style you want and what you want it to say and I'll add it for you! :)

      Delete