Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My Korean Josie!

For those of you who had the pleasure of meeting or knowing Kevin's grandmother, Josephine Miller, you would know how significant this blog title is. I had never, in a million years, thought I would meet someone like Josephine, much less in Korea... but there is no doubt in my mind that these two ladies would have been the best of friends (If they spoke the same language of course!)

This is my Vice Principal's mother. (80 years old)

She has lived through the dissapearance of a husband and raised a child, alone, working as a housewife for a wealthy family. In 1951, during the Korean War, she and her husband fled Andong, S Korea with my Vice Principal (6 months old) on her back, and set out on a 100km walk to safety in Yanehong, S Korea. During the journey, my VP developed a stomach sickness. As young parents, they were both very worried about their only son, so my VP's dad left the group in search for a pharmacy, never to come back again. His wife has never remarried.

Despite all of her hardship, she is spunky, energetic, healthy, welcoming, loving, funny, strong, etc... While we were eating dinner, she would raise her arms above her head in the shape of a heart and say, "Sarongheyo" (I love you!) and when I would say it back to her, she would laugh and say, "Thank you very muchie!" It was amazing! She reminded me of Josie... how I miss her!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment